Wednesday, November 23, 2011

One of the SoonChunHyang University campus bands, Giuliani. I don't think they mean to reference the former mayor of New York, but they do play acoustic guitars.

Because my Traditional Korean Drumming course is held in the student union building, it's in the same area as the many bands that SCH students can take part in. Earlier in the term I took a few pictures of the doors to their practice rooms, but hadn't been sure how to use them for my blog. That is, until I discovered that one of my language exchange partners was a singer for one those bands and would be performing towards the end of the semester. So for this week's first cultural/experience/general Korea blog, I'll be writing about on campus bands and how they are organized. It's not something I've seen back in America, so it seemed to me something worth noting.


Another SCH band, I think - New Men.

The name is incomplete, so I'm not sure what this band's name is. Other campus bands are CRANE, T.H.U.G., CHORD and Igneous.

How the bands work is pretty straightforward. The university provides them with practice space in the student union building and a place to perform each semester. This also provides students with an extracurricular activity that allows them to hone their musical talents. In exchange the school expects them to perform a concert once per semester, as well as perform for special events on campus. Styles vary - Giuliani appears to use mostly acoustic guitars while CRANE advertises itself as a rock band.


My exchange partner and friend SangJi is a singer for Igneous, who performed this past Tuesday in the student union building. Since I'm most familiar with Igneous I will use them as my example for who comprises the band's members. Many students are part of the band, more than there are instruments and parts to play; because of this they switch off between song sets so everyone gets a chance to be on stage. Older students in the band get more stage time, as would be expected. But every member gets to perform at least two songs during the concert, and all practice very hard for the big day.


The concert itself was held on the small stage on the second floor of the building, which is also where the dancing at the Halloween party was. While big enough for a small stage it also ensures that the music will be loud. My ears were really ringing after the concert but I left pretty satisfied; the music itself was played quite well by the well-practiced musicians. At times it was hard to understand the lyrics due to the noise of all the other instruments, but still an enjoyable experience.



The program for the Igneous 'For the Sake of Legend' concert.

Each different singer's sets were sectioned off under their name. Here (if you can read Hangul) is my friend SangJi's set, including Green Day's 'American Idiot'.


As a closing note, I'd like to share a couple of signs I found at a Metro station in Seoul last weekend. You only have 30 seconds from the time the doors on the train open until they close again. So be ready to get on board the train even if you have to cram your way on board, because it's not safe to leap in at the last moment. I actually saw a guy try to use his bag to stop the doors of one, and after he failed to get in the train left anyway. So follow the directions on the sign and be patient - another train will be along soon if you're in Seoul.

Don't use your bag to stop the door!

And obviously, trying to jump through the closing doors of the subway train is dangerous.



As always this followon project blog is brought to you by: the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, Portland State University, SoonChunHyang University and the Republic of Korea. You can send questions, comments, topic requests and feedback to: hangukmartyn@yahoo.com

And my video blogs for the follown project are here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperBombadillo?feature=mhee












No comments:

Post a Comment