Wednesday, November 16, 2011

As I mentioned in this week's video blog, I will be travelling to be DMZ on a tour organized by the USO this Saturday. This is a popular tour for foreigners visiting Korea as well as a physical reminder of the ongoing security situation at the border. Being a social science major with an emphasis on history and political science, it was very important to me that I have the opportunity to see the DMZ while I was here. I can think of few better remaining symbols of the sad Cold War legacy of humanity than this, one of the most heavilly armed places in the world.

This week's second post will be a short preview of the DMZ, and what I hope to see while I am there. One thing I can tell you for sure is that you need to book your tour several weeks in advance if you want to go on the USO tour. I had to book mine about 4 weeks ahead, and when my friend tried to book the same day's tour a week later it was filled. So if you have a group that might be interested in going, place a reservation request for anyone who might want to go the first time. Cancellation is free four days or more before the tour date.

As most people probably already know, the DeMilitarized Zone is the border between North and South Korea. A large number of troops from both sides are stationed there; since no peace treaty was ever signed the two Koreas are technically still at war. This makes it dangerous, yet many tourists go to visit the Panmunjom area - the only part where nonmilitary persons are allowed to visit. A laundry list of clothing regulations are in place that basically boil down to not wearing anything that will make the North Koreans mad. The last thing anyone wants is for an offensive t-shirt to reignite the war.

The USO tour includes the Joint Security Area - the famous blue buildings pictured above, including a meeting room which is half inside North Korean territory - the Third Infiltration Tunnel, the Axe Murder Site and the Dora Observatory. Having never heard of the axe murders, I'm curious to see just where the incident took place. North Korean soldiers apparently attacked Americans who were trying to cut down a tree that obscured visibility, killing two. And the infiltration tunnel, I think, will give more first-hand insight into how determined the North has been to undermine their southern neighbors.

But what I'm hoping to see, and if permitted get pictures of, are the North Korean soldiers themselves. While I've done a bit of research about both sides, the politics and their forces, this will be my one chance to actually get a firsthand glimpse into the other Korea. I imagine it's going to be a strange experience, maybe even somewhat unnerving. Supposedly the South Korean MPs will grab your arm if you get too close to the North's side so that the North Koreans can't grab you. It's going to be a unique experience for sure.




The conference hall where one can actually set foot into 'North Korea', so I can technically claim to have been to the North.

No comments:

Post a Comment